The following statement was released today by Sea Island Company Ceo Scott Steilen:
March 27, 2020
To All Sea Island Club and Ocean Forest Members,
On March 25, we were made aware of a COVID-19 case involving a family member of one of our Ocean Forest and Sea Island Club members. Fortunately, the person who tested positive has reported a full recovery, and that the person has not been at a Sea Island facility since March 16, which was prior to the onset of symptoms. However, we understand the person’s family members had been at Ocean Forest since that date, though the family’s presence at Ocean Forest was limited to golf and take-out dining. We have consulted with the Department of Public Health and, separately, with the impacted member, and we are confident the family will not be at any Sea Island or Ocean Forest facility during the quarantine time period established by the Department of Public Health.
While we are naturally disappointed to learn of these circumstances, we also believe this is a good opportunity for all of us to maintain our focus on social distancing and following CDC guidance.
Out of an abundance of caution, we have taken the step of bringing in a certified third party cleaning service to disinfect the golf cart barn and the Tee House on March 25, and the Ocean Forest Clubhouse last night. As you know, we had already implemented the following social distancing steps, which we will maintain:
- Enhanced cleaning practices
- Enforced social distancing practices
- One golfer per golf cart (unless riders are from the same household) at both Sea Island and Ocean Forest
- Locker Rooms are closed at both Sea Island and Ocean Forest
- Dining is take-out only at both Sea Island and Ocean Forest
- All Sea Island Company Team Members who have any symptoms of an illness are required to stay home
- All Sea Island Company Team Members are encouraged to follow the hygiene protocols of the CDC
- Numerous closures of other Sea Island facilities where stringent social distancing cannot be practiced
Likewise, we encourage each of you as members to:
- Follow the hygiene protocols of the CDC
- Enforce social distance practices
- Avoid our facilities, our Team Members, and each other if you feel ill
Finally, we ask anyone who is (or has had prolonged close contact with someone who is) suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19, to please inform us of your progress, and immediately self-quarantine as has been ordered by the Governor of Georgia. Our efforts to work together will aid in our collective goal to flatten the curve.
President and CEO
Photo: Getty Images